Vattekkat Satheesh Babu
6166 Leesburg Pike, #D506
Falls Church, Virginia 22044
United States of America
To find a position which allows me to build on my diverse experience
base, challenges me with new problems every day, and constantly
inspires me to do better today than I did yesterday, and to do better
tomorrow than I do today, with a group that takes pride in values and
- Enterprise Database Design
- Systems Analysis & Troubleshooting
- Process Analysis & Reengineering
- Project Management
- Specification & Documentation
- Metrics Driven Decision Making
- Team Building & Leadership
I'm very strong in Unix/Linux environments and Oracle. Learnability is my
strong point and I try to constantly research and learn more about interesting
- Platforms: Linux, UNIX, HP-UX, Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP, HP3000 MPE/XL
- Programming Languages: C, Java, C++, Pascal, FORTRAN, COBOL; Python, Perl
- Oracle 7/8i, PostgreSQL, MySQL, FileMaker Pro
- SQL, PL/SQL, Pro*C, Oracle Developer, Oracle PowerObjects, ODBC, JDBC, OO4OLE
- Oracle Designer, MS Project 4.x - 2000
- Apache, IIS, Postfix, Mailman, Wiki
- ksh, bash, AWK, sed, cvs, sccs, rcs
- Proficient in English, Hindi and Malayalam.
- Familiar with Tamil and French.
|B.Tech|| Electronics & Communication Engineering, Regional Engineering College Calicut|| 1993|| 83%|
|Pre-Degree (12th)|| Govt. Victoria College, Palakkad|| 1989|| 82%|
|S.S.L.C (X std)|| BEMHS, Palakkad|| 1987|| 85%|
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) 93; 97.65%
- GATE 94; 94%
The Nature Conservancy, Arlington, VA, USA.
Senior Technologist; Since March 2001
- Infrastructure design and development for web technologies.
- Strategic supprt for cost-effective IT from a non-profit perspective.
- Manage, mentor and lead projects.
- Analyse, design and implement software solutions for enabling Conservation efforts and support functions.
- Technical advisor to projects.
- Rapid analysis and problem solving support for enterprise systems.
Managed design, development and implementation for a web publishing
tool that enabled unskilled and skilled content providers to publish
content to multiple sites. Implemented more features in 15% of
time and 5% of cost, compared to competing proposals. System is based
on Oracle 8i.
Managed project in development of a tool that aids scientists to
visually represent different factors that affect an ecosystem. Reports
are generated from charts that helps in analysis and prioritization.
System is based on Microsoft Visio, Visual Basic and Python.
Championed rapid prototyping methodology of Dreams, Philosophy,
Implementation - a variation of eXtreme Programming when users
have little time to devote to the project. Several successful
rapid application development projects I managed include:
- On-line digital assets management. Holds thousands of photos and can even run from CD-ROMs.
- On-line survey builder tool using Oracle and Zope.
- On-line benefits enrollment framework development, saving $45,000 annually.
- Personnel Memo portal that aggregates news from organization.
- Collaboration Portal using Zope-CMF for document management.
- Single sign-on framework for web applications using RADIUS.
- Custom authentication plugin for Jabber IM server.
- Conducted training courses on Perl, PHP, Zope and RPT.
Rapidigm Inc, San Diego, CA, USA.
Systems Analyst and Consultant; March 1998 - March 2001
- Provide consulting services to clients on Oracle based systems.
- Consulting services include working in teams at the client site,
trouble shooting production problems, software maintenance, custom
software development etc.
- Co-ordinated a team, planned, learned, analyzed and remedied all
web systems for Year2000 readiness in 7 days in December 1999 with
little knowledge transfer. No problems happened during Year2000
- Implemented a cross-over system while a new CRM system was being
installed at the client site, to take over from a legacy system. Rapid design
and implementation was done using Designer/2000 and Developer/2000.
- Implemented web directory portal for thousands of reports generated by
CRM system with customizable layout and configuration options.
Tuned the performance, to make complete web sites in 20 seconds after
scanning for 45000+ files on 600+ nested directories on HP-UX.
- Software maintenance for client's legacy CRM system based on Oracle 7, Oracle Forms 3, Pro*C, PL/SQL on HP-UX.
- Ported legacy CRM system from HP-UX to Oracle on Linux, with query interfaces using PHP3.
- Developed web-based timesheets that support delegation and authorization using PHP3 and PostgreSQL.
Infosys Technologies, Bangalore, India.
Systems Analyst; May 1995 - March 1998
- Project management, design and development of software systems.
- Quality control and configuration management.
- Team and customer co-ordinator for the client, Salomon.S.A. in France.
- On-site software maintenance support.
- Ensure internationalization support in projects.
- Implemented electronic time reporting system using Designer/2000, Developer/2000, HP-UX, Oracle 7.3, Macintosh and Windows NT clients.
- Implemented data warehouses aggregating sales, stock and delivery information from respective systems. Designed, implemented and tuned interfaces and batch jobs using PL/SQL, Pro*C and Unix utilities. Implemented Oracle Forms interface to aid manual planning interface to Manugistics.
- Managed development of a Free Market system that adds to Etoile, a headquarters system developed in-house, that links delivery, financial, sales and manufacturing systems.
- Managed support and maintenance for GDT, a product planning system developed in-house.
- Provided on-site support and code maintenance for both Etoile and GDT.
CMC Ltd, Bangalore, India.
Associate IT Engineer; September 1993 - March 1995
- On-site customer support for network and hardware issues.
- Network design, maintenance, installation, software support.
- System administration for Novell Netware and UNIX systems.
- Re-structured and implemented a 140 node, multi-network Novell Netware
LAN at ANZ Grindlay's Software Development Center,
increasing uptime to 99%.
- Engineered a call/inventory management system in FoxPro 2.0 to
make repair lab, paperless.
- Provided systems support for Indian Post Office (PCs and software),
Reserve Bank of India (WAN) and Bhabha Atomic Research Center.
I participate in open source projects and have released some personal projects as open source.
Some of these are:
- News collector and aggregator, written in Python.
- Cross-platform GUI application to build and run scripts to process batches of images. Extensible using
- On-line Oracle schema browser using PHP.
- On-line Oracle database monitor using PHP; extensible by simply dropping SQL scripts.
- WYSIWYG in-line HTML editor for IE.
- DBM database manager for PHP.
Additionally, I maintain a site where I publish articles and thoughts on technology. Some of these include:
- PHP Tutorial. This has been very popular.
- Perl Tutorial.
- Introductory course notes for Zope.
- Structuring IT as an enabler for organizational success.
Available upon request.