Veggie Fish Anyone?
Well, it's just fried
brinjal (eggplant) really.
The name "Vegetable Fish" was my aunt's ingenious idea to get my then three year old, fussy cousin to eat. He would refuse to eat if there weren't any non-vegetarian food on the plate. She got away with this for sometime though. Incidentally, her recipe also happens to be the only way that I can get my dear husband (who otherwise isn't fussy about food) to eat this vegetable.
- Eggplant - 2 medium (Italian eggplant)
- Chilli powder - 1 -2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic paste/powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Curry leaves - a few
- Wash the eggplant and wipe it dry. Cut it into 3/4 inch wide slices.
- Mix ingredients 2-6 and salt with very little water into a thick paste. Spread well over the slices and set aside for about ten minutes.
- Heat oil in wide, thick bottomed pan. When hot, reduce flame and place the brinjal slices in the oil in batches. Throw in a few curry leaves. Cook covered for a few minutes (four on a low flame)
- When one side's done, turn it carefully with a flat spatula and cook till other side is done.
- Add a few more curry leaves before serving.
- You could add a teaspoon of rice flour to the marinade to make it crisp.
- Its better to use a non-stick pan or the pieces tend to break while trying to flip them.