November 26, 2002
Being Indian - On a different note
Someone sent this to me today...
You may be an INDIAN if...
- Everything you eat is smothered in garlic, onion and tomatoes.
- You try and reuse gift wrappers, gift boxes, and of course aluminum foil.
- You try to eject food particles from between your teeth by pressing,your tongue against them and making a peculiar noise like, tshick, tshick, tschick, tschick.
- You are standing next to the two largest size suitcases at the Airport.
- You arrive two hours late to a party - and think its normal.
- You recycle Wedding Gifts.
- You name your children in rhythms (example Sita & Gita, Ram & Shyam).
- All your children have pet names, which sound nowhere close to their real names(example, Honey & Money).
- You take Indian snacks anywhere it says "No Food Allowed".
- You talk for an hour at the front door when leaving someone's house.
- You dont remove the plastic seat covers of your new car.
- You use plastic to cover anything new in your house whether it's the remote control, VCR, carpet or new couch.
- You live with your parents and you are 40 years old. (And they prefer it that way).
- You feel like you've gotten a good deal if you didn't pay tax.
- You never learnt how to stand in a queue.
- You can only travel if there are 5 persons at least to see you off or receive you whether you are traveling by bus, train or plane.
- If she is NOT your daughter, you always take interest in knowing whose daughter has run with whose son and feel proud to spread it at the velocity of more than the speed of light.
- You only make long distance calls after 11 p.m.
- If you don't live at home, when your parents call, they ask if you've eaten, even if it's midnight.
- You call an older person you never met before "uncle."
- When your parents meet strangers and talk for a few minutes, you discover you're talking to a distant cousin.
- Your parents don't realize phone connections to foreign countries have improved in the last two decades, and still scream at the top of their lungs when making foreign calls.
- You have bed sheets on your sofas so as to keep them away from getting dirty.
- When dining out, you think Rs 10 is enough of a tip.
- It's embarrassing if your wedding has less than 600 people.
- You list your daughter as "fair and slim" in the matrimonial no matter what she looks like.
- You treat the NRI's (especially from America) as if they are the only persons living in this world (including YOU).
- You have really enjoyed reading this.
how true...esp the third point...